Situated in the former Waimate Courthouse (1879 - 1979) this beautiful building sits in a fine garden setting and is now home to an extensive range of exhibits of interest to both young and old.
In 1854, when young pioneers Michael Studholme & Saul Shrives first arrived with their families and a bullock team to settle in the area. In 1954 with the town celebrating its 100th year, the Waimate Historical Society was formed to preserve the history of the Waimate District.
The museum is home to many buildings several of which have been shifted on site. These include the old Douglas school, Bremners Cottage, and together with the old jail and police cells house a diversity of displays depicting life and times of old Waimate.