Marton, with its bustling centre, a five minute drive from State Highways 1 and 3, and a population of 4,500, is the largest town and the heart of the Rangitikei. The fertile soil and temperate climate has firmly established Marton as an agricultural centre noted for its cropping and sheep/beef farming.
With its ideal central location, and close proximity to both Palmerston North and Wanganui, Marton has established itself firmly as an ultimate locale for large business. Corporates such as Gallagher's, Nestle, ANZCO (Canterbury Meat Packers), Speirs, Southern Lights, Alf Downs Group and Malteurop, New Zealand’s largest malting plant, have chosen to base their businesses in Marton.
An educational centre
The town is a noted educational centre, hosting boarding schools Anglican Diocese Nga Tawa College and Huntley Preparatory School. Established in 1866, Marton is an historic rural New Zealand town with a significant agricultural and industry-based history. Marton's strong and proud identity is reflected in the wide range of character homes, and historic buildings to be found on Broadway, the town’s commercial heart.
Originally called Tutaenui (‘large gathering’), Marton was established in 1866 then renamed in 1869 to be called Marton, after the birth place of James Cook.
The town's industries grew significantly with the development of the main trunk line. The opening of the railway line joining Wanganui to Palmerston North in 1878, now part of the north island main trunk line railway, turned Marton into a thriving railway junction for the next 100 years.
Just a few minutes from the SH1, this hidden treasure of a village has a range of shops and services that makes it an ideal spot to pick up supplies, with supermarkets, banks, wireless access at the library, as well as a dump station. Plus local cafes Sugar Plum (SH1, north of Marton) and Fork and Spoon (3 High St, Marton) deserve a special mention.
Rangatira Golf Club extends a special welcome to NZMCA members. Already a popular stop over, this spot is renowned for its wonderful views – as well as an electric cable-car which members love to ride in apparently! Go to www.rangatiragolf.co.nz.
Mungoven Gardens also comes highly recommended. These beautiful gardens offer overnight parking (ph. 06 327 6631).
That the town was named after the birthplace of Capt. James Cook?
Rangitikei District Council Telephone:
Council Address: 46 High Street Marton