Westport Whitebait Festival 2018
Join us for the weekend, something for everyone and the opportunity to explore any number of local attractions!
Westport's Whitebait Festival:
Labour Weekend 2018, Westport comes to life with a weekend full of events celebrating the communities connection to Whitebait! Friday night features a special addition of the monthly 'Chips and Jam' featuring a night market in conjunction with live local music. Saturday afternoon the weekends main event the 'Whitebait Festival' itself features live music, art installations, performances and a huge variety of stalls offering food and crafts (as well as a number of the main street boutique shops) and iconic events such as 'The Great Whitebait Cook off!' and 'The Famous Whitebait Filleting Competition'... as day turns to night the festival winds down as all prepare for this years inaugural 'Whitebaiter's Ball' Featuring Sun City Soul (Nelson) with support from local act Opposite Drifters (Granity). Sunday morning heralds fun for all the family with the 'Floating Basin Big Splash' featuring the Kawatiri River Trail, treasure hunts, stalls, bouncy castle and a chance to go kayaking and sailing. The final event of the weekend is 'Taste Kawatiri' on Sunday afternoon: a chance for patrons to sample and judge whitebait themed avant-garde cuisine paired with craft beers and wines at a number of the local restaurants. For more information on the Whitebait Festicval please visit our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/westportwhitebaitfestival/
'Taste Kawatiri' is a chance for patrons to sample and judge whitebait themed avant-garde cuisine prepared by local chefs and paired with craft beers and wines. Participants spend Sunday afternoon visiting a number of local establishments to experience leading edge whitebait themed dishes paired with a craft beer and wine wrapped in an inviting atmosphere full of friendly people and local music. All involved get a change to judge each dish and establishment on a number of factors to determine the winner of this the second Taste Kawatiri! Tickets are limited. Visit the 'Taste Kawatiri 2018' facebook page for further details: https://www.facebook.com/events/2160155280933560/
Join us at the Inaugial Whitebaiters' Ball! An evening full of live music and dance!
Come dressed either West Coast Styles (bush shirt and waders) or in your best glad rags, there are prizes for the best/most outrageous dressed individuals and couples. Supper provided.
- Main act: Sun City Soul - a 6 piece jazz/soul band from Nelson featuring some of the finest home grown and international musicians, all with a love of soul music.
- Supporting act: Opposite Drifters - an eclectic collection of musical souls from the quirky seaside village of Granity.
- Venue: Club Buller, 44 Queen Street, Westport
- Date and Time: 8pm till midnight 20th October 2018
- Tickets: $30 per person, $50 per couple.
Visit the 'Whitebaiters' Ball 2018' facebook page for further details: https://www.facebook.com/events/198768357428839/
'Taste Kawatiri' 2018 - www.cosmicticketing.co.nz/event/show/5587
'The Whitebaiters' Ball - www.cosmicticketing.co.nz/event/show/5581
Certified Self-Contained Motorhome/Caravan Parking: FREE!
Here’s a great offer for fully self-contained Motorhomes/Caravans, FREE parking! Available from Friday evening to Monday. There are two different parking locations available, see below for details:
- Arrive Friday 19th October (after 5pm) and Depart Monday 22nd October 2018.
- BOOKINGS REQUIRED - please complete the attached registration form and you will be contacted by the event organisers to confirm your booking and your parking location.
- Pets are welcome, but must be contained on a lead and remain in the parking area or inside your Motorhome/Caravan. They are not permitted at the Festival.
Large Vehicles - NBS Site, Westport (50m from the festival)
- NBS Theatre Carpark, 105 Palmerston St, Westport.
- Limited space!
Small Vehicles - Victoria Park (80m from the festival)
- Victoria Park, CNR Lyndhurst and Russell Streets Westport.
- Limited space!
Google map link: www.google.co.nz/maps/@-41.752543,171.5966543,17z
For queries please contact Gary Smith, Event Co-Ordinator on 021 0277 8363
- Ticketing: Public