Owaka Cavalcade 2018
Owaka is very excited to be the host town of the 26th Otago Goldfields Heritage Trust Cavalcade. The various Goldfields Cavalcade Trails (Riding, Wagon, Walking & Bicycle's) start from 24th February at various locations around Southland & Otago. All the Trails will get to experience the ‘Catlin’s Bush & Beaches’ before converging into Owaka on Saturday, 3rd March 2018 for Grand Parade, Family Entertainment & Market day followed by Evening Dinner & Hoe Down.
Registrations for the Goldfields Cavalcade Trails is OPEN at www.cavalcade.co.nz Some Trails are already fully booked. So don’t delay book your Trail of choice online today.. More Trail info on following page.
There will be campsites around Owaka for all the Trails & the NZ Motorhome Association (NZMCA). The NZMCA members will arrive into Owaka from Wednesday, 28th February onwards. South Otago Forest & Bird are going to have an outing organised for Thursday, 1st March (details to be confirmed). The Catlin’s Historical Society are having a Heritage Bus tour on Friday, 2nd March around Owaka, Katea & Glenomaru. Meet at Owaka Museum 1.30pm, please book via Museum 034158323 http://www.owakamuseum.org.nz/
To welcome the Goldfields Cavalcade to Owaka there will a market day with lots of market stalls, food and family entertainment. Confirmed to date for Entertainment are the Caledonian Society of Otago, Catlin’s Area School Kapa Haka Group, Pony & Wagon Rides, Sheep Shearing, Wood Chopping, Gold Panning, South Otago Forest & Bird, Live Music throughout the day & Children’s Activities. A highlight of the day will be the Cavalcade Grand Parade, where each trail will parade up the Owaka Main Street at Noon being led by the Balclutha Pipe Band to the Owaka Sports Grounds; where the Cavalcade Market & Entertainment event will be held followed by Dinner & Hoedown.
- Cavalcade Market Stalls & Entertainment Day start at 10.30am to 4pm
- Owaka Sports Grounds; Entry by Donation, Car Parking is $5/per car
- Cavalcade Parade is at Noon, starting Clark Street heading up Main Street to Sports Grounds
- Cavalcade Catlin’s Surf & Turf Dinner: Tickets must be prepaid $35/each
- Cavalcade Hoedown: Tickets can be prepaid $25/each (They will be available from Clutha I-Site & Owaka Museum in January 2018) Door Sales will be $30/each. ROAR
- The Hoedown will feature Jenny Mitchell & Band (Gold Guitars Winner & she will be fresh from recording her Album ‘Wildfire’ in the New Year) supporting Band is ‘Two Good Men’
- For those that make it to Sunday Morning; Breakfast will be available at $18/each including World Famous in the Catlin’s ‘Billy-Tea’
Owaka Host Town Committee Secretary: Katy Button; Home Tel: 034128811 or 0274120008, firstname.lastname@example.org
Hoedown, Dinner & Breakfast Tickets will be available to book via: Katy email@example.com Also available for Sale at the Balclutha ISite & Owaka Info Centre/Museum in 2018.
GOLDFIELDS CAVALCADE TRAILS 2018: (Trail Names, Number days, Type, Start location & Trail Boss)
- ‘Kaitangata Cranksters’ – 4 day CYCLING TRAIL. Kaitangata – Owaka with Andy McDonald.
- ‘Tea Pots to Blow Holes’ – 4 day WALKNG TRAIL. Papatowai – Owaka with Sandra Cain.
- ‘A Walk on the Wisp’ – 6 day WALKING TRAIL. Owaka loop back to Owaka with Steve Clark.
- ‘Clutha Vets – Clover leaf’ – 6 day RIDING TRAIL. Lawrence and Owaka with Jane Whitmore.
- ‘Over the Top to Owaka’ – 6 day RIDING TRAIL. Lawrence to Owaka with Les Beattie. ‘
- ‘The Veterinary Centre Southern Explorer’ – 6 day RIDING TRAIL, Fortrose to Owaka with Mick O’Callaghan
- ‘Hokonui Moonshine Marauders’ – 7 day RIDING TRAIL, Mandeville – Owaka with Bill Butler’. FULLY BOOKED!
- ‘Tussock Creek Light Wagons and Riders’. 7 days. Mataura to Owaka – with Chris Bayne
- ‘THE Cobb & Co HEAVY WAGONS’ (Riders welcome) 7 days. Papatowai – Owaka With Tony Cumberbeach’.
Onsite Certified Self-Contained Motorhome/Caravan Parking
CSC Sites available from Wednesday 28th February through to Sunday 4th March. Costs $15.00 per van for the whole stay. Cash on Arrival!
- Gold Coin Donation into the Event. Activities start Friday 2nd March.
- Parking location! Owaka Combined Sports Grounds, Main Street Owaka. (signage will be visable)
- Note! All motorhomes must be self-contained - no power points are available.
- Must Do Event for the weekend! Hoedown tickets are $25.00 per person.
- PARKING ENQUIRES, please contact Oscar or Marilyn Dunn 03 4128626 or 027 6512151.
What else is going on in the area?
The Yellow Eyed Penguin Trust have organised an outing for Thursday, 1st March (please bring binoculars);
Meet at Long Point Top Car Park 3.30pm.$5/pp, for tour around Long Point Reserve with Field Manager David McFarlane. This is an unique opportunity to learn first hand about work happening in the Catlins to help the Yellow Eyed Penguin population. Please book in via firstname.lastname@example.org. We can organise to Car Pool from the Cavalcade NZMCA Campsite.
The Catlin’s Historical Society are having a Heritage Bus tour on Friday, 2nd March around Owaka, Katea & Glenomaru.
$10/pp Meet at Owaka Museum 1.30pm, please book via Museum 034158323 http://www.owakamuseum.org.nz/ The Owaka Museum & Catlins Information Centre is well worth a visit during your stay in Owaka. Its just a 5 minute walk up main street from NZMCA Campsite.
Photo65 Photography have an Equine Photographic exhibition on at the Owaka Museum from 16th Feb to 18th Mar.
SATURDAY, 3rd MARCH
Cavalcade Market Stalls & Entertainment Day start at 10.30am to 4pm, Owaka Sports Grounds; Entry by Donation, Car Parking is $5/per car
Cavalcade Parade is at Noon, starting Clark Street heading up Main Street to Sports Grounds
Cavalcade Catlin’s Surf & Turf Dinner: Tickets must be prepaid $35/each
Cavalcade Hoedown: Tickets can be prepaid $25/each
(They are available from Clutha I-Site; Balclutha & Catlin’s Information Centre; Owaka or email email@example.com & will be on Sale from NZMCA Campsite) - Door Sales will be $30/each. ROAR
The Hoedown will feature Jenny Mitchell & Band (Gold Guitars Winner & she will be fresh from recording her Album ‘Wildfire’ in the New Year) supporting Band is ‘Two Good Men’ plus Mechanical Bull!
For those that make it to Sunday Morning; Breakfast will be available at $18/each including World Famous in the Catlin’s ‘Billy-Tea’
Expressions of interest for Market stalls Or Food Vendors
Appreciated before the 30th of October 2017. Applications will close Friday 10th February 2018.
All enquiries & for a Booking Application contact Helen Keen on phone: 027 2717340 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or postal address: 404 Papatowai highway, RD 2 Owaka 9586.
- Website: https://cavalcade.co.nz/
- Ticketing: Public